Action for a Peaceful World
By: Abby Twyman | December 12, 2019
Why Take Action to Create a More Peaceful World?
In 2016 I was living in Phoenix, Arizona, and had a successful career as a full-time clinical behavior analyst as well as a part-time university faculty member. As the clinical director overseeing three clinics serving individuals with autism and their families and a teacher of professional ethics, I was considered a pillar of my professional community. However, at the end of every day, I felt as though something significant was missing from my life. I kept telling myself I was exactly where I wanted to be, doing exactly what I wanted to do, but the truth was, that was a lie. Once I stopped to truly consider what I was doing and why I was doing it, I realized I had some big changes to make in my life to realign my thoughts, words, and actions with my deeply held values. This was the spark that triggered the series of events that lead to the creation of Action for a Peaceful World (AFAPW - pronounced /ah-fah-pwah/ for short).
Our Vision and Mission
AFAPW's mission is to provide the inspiration, education, and support to help Mindful THRIVE Warriors (i.e. anyone who is dedicated to improving their lives and the lives of those they care most about) develop the skills they need to effectively and efficiently create a more peaceful world for themselves and the ones they love, which will ultimately improve the lives of all Earth’s inhabitants.
Services, Benefits, and Features
- Cruising with BABS (CWB) is an educational platform that provides continuing education (CE) to BCBAs as well as training to other professionals (e.g., educators, therapists, health care, criminal justice), parents, community members, and business leaders. Course offerings will cover the overarching areas of personal, business, community, and family improvement. The content will primarily focus on the application of the science of behavior and learning to these areas, including more advanced topics such as Relational Frame Theory (RFT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Behavioral Economics, Behavioral Systems Analysis (BSA), Behavioral Neuroscience, Applied Psychology, and Community Reinforcement Approach/Family Training (CRAFT). Initially, there will be four (4) 9-week online courses offered every year (18 Type-2 CEUs for each course) which will eventually be offered as in-person workshops. While the content may seem a bit too "sciencey" for most, our goal is to use a fun and engaging teaching style to make the information as easily accessible and applicable to everyone. The application of lessons learned from the study of animal and human behavior is the only way to create the world in which we all want to live, and our goal is to help everyone learn how they can take effective action.
- Destination Humanity (DH) is currently our blog and monthly newsletter, but will eventually be a platform for collaborative content creation and dissemination. Content will be published in a variety of formats including articles, vlogs, podcasts, books, infographics, creative writing, art, music, memes, and swag. We believe that the biggest barrier to effectively disseminating information related to the science of behavior and learning is an overabundance of content which is hard to understand and apply for the average person who hasn't dedicated their lives to the study of human behavior. To address this barrier, we are dedicated to collaborating on projects which provide easily-consumable material that is engaging and piques the interest of those who come in contact with it to learn more about how it applies to their lives so they can take more effective action to produce positive change.
- Alaskan Oasis (AO) is a Wellness Retreat and Transformation Center (WRTC) which is currently in the beginning stages of development and will provide an enriching environment in which significant personal growth is most probable. AO will be located on 4 acres of forested land in rural Alaska and will have the following facilities and amenities: lodge for meals and training activities, private cabins, indoor and outdoor recreation areas, ropes and obstacle courses, a BBQ restaurant, and an animal rescue/shelter. Available services will include Warrior Club (afterschool program), Camp THRIVE (summer family/group camp), week-long motivational retreats, month-long educational retreats, and long-term transformational retreats. Each guest will be provided a guide to help them develop a personalized path in a supportive environment.
THRIVE Warrior Values
Clearly defining your values is a critical step to ensuring your thoughts, words, and actions are in full alignment with them. To get everyone started on the path to creating a more peaceful world we've defined a set of 6 values. We believe these values are essential to every Mindful THRIVE Warrior who is committed to taking effective action to create a more peaceful world for themselves and the ones they love.
- Trustworthy – be impeccable with your word; follow through on commitments.
- Honest – be open and humble; tell the truth and provide the data to support it.
- Respectful – honor the right of every individual to live freely and with dignity.
- Inspiring – catalyze change in the world by modeling, teaching, and coaching.
- Value-Driven – strive to bring your thoughts, words, and actions into alignment.
- Engaged – make a plan, stick to the plan, and push for continual improvement.
Are you ready to start taking action to create a more peaceful world for yourself, your family, and your community? Consider participating in our upcoming courses to learn more about what it means to be a THRIVE Warrior and use behavioral science to improve your life.